Berdines Five and Dime
This local retail establishment opened in 1908 as Hunt and Berdine's Five and Dime. The business was established by K.C. Berdine and his brother, Lafayette Hunt, who left the business in 1909. The store was first located at corner of Court and Main Street from 1908 to 1915, when K. C. Berdine purchased the present lot and built this building to expand his business, which he renamed "Burdine's Variety Store." Once common in big and small cities alike, few locally-owned five and dime stores have survived to the present. The store includes its original antique confection counter, oak shelves and counters, and tin ceilings.
Backstory and Context