The Jesuit Resident Hall (1962-2015)
Marquette University's Jesuit Residence Hall, located at 1404 West Wisconsin Avenue, was originally a hotel and purchased by Marquette in 1962. The building was home to Marquette's community of Jesuit priests from 1973 until 2015. The building was replaced by a new residence hall that is part of the new North Common, the green space between the Alumni Memorial Union and Schroeder Hall.
Backstory and Context
The Jesuits held tight to their identity and tradition as a Catholic, Jesuit institution by putting an emphasis on higher education and being environmentally friendly. In 1990, the Stuessi Garden was added to the residence. In addition to the many different plants, the garden included stones and gargoyles.
Later, as the number of Jesuit declined and expenses related to the maintenance of the aging building increased, the "Jes Res" became increasingly untenable for the university to maintain. Marquette decided to build a new and more economic residence building. The new Jesuit Residence Hall - named in honor of Dr. E.J O'Brien - was completed in October of 2015. Dr. E.J O'Brien graduated from Marquette's medical school is 1928 and became a physician. He is also the father of Patricia Schneider, the facility's lead donor.
Tanzilo, Bobby. Last look: Stratford Arms Hotel/MU's former Jesuit Residence. Marquette University. June 13, 2016. Accessed December 14, 2018. https://onmilwaukee.com/history/articles/stratfordarmshotel.html.