St. Joseph North Pier Inner and Outer Lights
These two complimentary lighthouses are situated at the end of the St. Joseph North Pier, which extends a few hundred feet out into Lake Michigan. The north and south piers, which are essentially an extension of the St. Joseph River, form a channel through which vessels can safely reach the city. The St. Joseph North Pier Inner and Outer Lights were built in 1907 and operated until 2005 when they were decommissioned. Both are listed as one entry on the National Register of Historic Places. They have been restored and it is possible to walk up to them on the pier. A catwalk was built in between them (and back to the shore) to allow the keeper to walk to the outer light when waves or ice made walking on the pier too dangerous. The lights are open for tours from Memorial Day through Labor Day (see link below).
Backstory and Context
Miller, Misty. "City and citizens of St. Joseph recognized for saving St. Joseph Pier Lights." Michigan State Housing Development Authority. March 15, 2016. https://www.michigan.gov/mshda/0,4641,7-141-7559_9637-379113--,00.html.
"St. Joseph North Pier Lights." Lighthouse of Michigan
Photos: Wikimedia Commons