Designed in the Romanesque style with a castle-like appearance, the Hornell Armory was built in 1896 and has continuously housed units of the National Guard. The first was the 47th Separate Company and today is the unit is Detachment 1 of the 222nd Military Police Company. The armory also stores weaponry and is used for drilling and marshaling. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Backstory and Context
The roof was replaced in 1985 and more recent renovations began in 2015. With these improvements, the building will last several more decades.
"Hornell Armory." New York State Military Museum and Research Center. Accessed December 2, 2018. https://dmna.ny.gov/historic/armories/Hornell.html.
Roger G. Reed & Anne Covell. "Hornell Armory." National Parks Service - National Register of Historic Places. May 06, 1980.