Rush Historic District
Situated in a corner of the Buffalo National River southwest of the town of Yellville are the ruins of what was once a thriving zinc mining town. Now a ghost town, it was founded in 1880 and eventually abandoned in the 1960s. Although now only a vestige of what it was, the site, which is quite large, still holds significance as it helps visitors understand the role zinc mining played in Arkansas' history and what life was like for its inhabitants. The buildings and other structures are in bad shape but are still largely standing. The mines are still present as well (it is not clear if they are closed off or not). The site has always been somewhat isolated, which has contributed to its preservation. It is possible to access the site on Forest road 6035. A few interpretive signs are located in front of some buildings.
Backstory and Context
Rohrbach, Jill. "The Ghost Town of Rush." Accessed November 14, 2018. https://www.arkansas.com/articles/ghost-town-rush.