By the early 1920s, the Fayette City Council wanted a revamped train station. The 1897 depot was unattractive to them and not big enough for the growing town and university. However, the increasing use of personal vehicles caused a big drop in passenger ticket sales, which prompted the railroad to decrease the size of the new depot. Railroad usage decreased even further after World War II, as airplane and car travel overtook passenger rail travel. Passenger service officially ended on September 18, 1965. Chipotle moved into the building in 2011.