This house is historic because it is home to 2 historic people in the development of apopka. This is home to Edward Waite. Also this is home to a previous mayor of Apopka Frank Davis. Also Leslie Waite has lived here for his entire life.
paint an accurate description of the Waite-Davis house in Apopka, Florida, the National Register of Historic Places
describes it as being a “1 ½ story wood frame vernacular house constructed in
1886.” Located at 5 South Central Avenue this house is historic because it is
home to 2 historic people of Apopka, Florida. The home first belonged to Edward
B. Waite then Frank H. Davis. These people played a significant role in the developing town of Apopka, and
how this house is historic.
we can get an accurate description of these men, we need to start with a brief
description of Apopka and its early history and settlements. In the book History of Apopka
and Northwest Orange County by Jerrell H. Shofner he mentions that
around the middle of the 18th century “there was a Seminole village
on Lake Apopka…where it remained until the outbreak of the Second Seminole War
in the mid-1830s.” (4) This is an important detail to note because this
information will later on connect to our men we are about to discuss. On the
website of the National Register of
Historic Places they say the Waite-Davis house is significant because it is
“in the area of Exploration and settlement for its city of Apopka in the Orange
Edward B. Waite he was a Manchester, New Hampshire native and migrated
all the way to Apopka, Florida in 1885. His wife Abbie, who we will discuss,
also arrived with Edward in 1885 also played a big role in the development of
Apopka. Edward bought “lots 55 and 67 in Block B of the new subdivision and had
a house constructed for himself and his family” as stated in the National Register of Historic Places statement
of significance. He bought this land in
town frequently known as “Yankee Town” in the National Register of Historic Places because many of the residents
that settled there came from New England and wanted to it to differentiate it
from the “Old Town” which was the area where the Apopka Masonic Lodge was
located. Edward and Leslie had one son together named Leslie P Waite born in
1892. This is all the information there is known on Edward B. Waite until he
dies in 1906.
Waite-Davis, the widow of Edward B. Waite, was a leader of the Women’s
Improvement Club. This organization was important because it helped raise money
for various civil projects. She also went on to remarry, a man named Frank
Davis is similar to Edward B. Waite because he is also originally from
Manchester, New Hampshire. Frank invested in real estate and went on to open
his own real estate company with a man name R.M Mitchell. He was active in many
civic organizations and also “help found the local Congregational Church” in
1886 stated in the National Register of
Historic Places statement of significance.
In 1912 Frank Davis organized the Apopka Board of Trade and was even the
first president. Frank Davis served as city councilman and went on to become
Mayor of Apopka in 1914. Later he died in office on August 27,1916.
for Abbie and Edward B. Waite, Leslie P Waite. He went on to play a major role
in Apopka’s development. Leslie lived at 5 South Central Avenue, the
Waite-Davie house, but also known to many as the Leslie P. Waite house his
whole entire life. Leslie P. Waite opened many businesses the first one being a
dry good store, he later went on to open up a real estate office. In the book
History of Apopka and Northwest Orange
County by Jerrell H. Shofner he states that “The Waite Realty Company was
composed of Leslie Waite and John Jewell.” (176) Leslie P. Waite was “one of
the organizers of the Central Savings and Loan Association of Apopka” stated in
the National Register of Historic Places.
Waite also started to take interest in Apopka’s foliage industry and
started to help develop it. Leslie Waite also helped form the Orange County
Fern Clearing House Association.
house is still standing as of today and has had a few minor details changed and
added. This house is a Folk Victorian style house which was very common for the
time frame this house was built, which was between the 1880s and 1900s. “Only
the Waite-Davis House, retains most of its original trim” take out of the he National Register of Historic Places.