Clio Logo

The Centre County Courthouse has been the seat of county government since 1805, when the first section of the building was completed. Typical of government buildings throughout the country in the 19th century, the courthouse was designed in the Greek Revival style, featuring a large portico with 6 Ionic columns. It was expanded several times over the course its history, the very last of which to occur in 1964. Its architect, Joseph M. Huston, also designed the State Capitol building in Harrisburg. In front of the building stands the Soldiers and Sailors War Memorial and the statue of Governor Andrew Gregg Curtin (c.1815-1894), who was governor during the Civil War through early 1867.


  • Centre County Courthouse was first built in 1805 and has been expanded many times.
"Centre County Courthouse." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 7, 1976.  http://www.dot7.state.pa.us/CRGIS_Attachments/SiteResource/H001618_01H.pdf.

"The Courthouse." Bellefonte Historical & Cultural Association. Accessed November 2, 2018.  http://www.bellefontearts.org/Virtual_walk/Courthouse.htm.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons