The Hotel Secor
Backstory and Context
The Secor Hotel was constructed from 1906 to 1908 and was designed by either Charles Nordhoff or George Mills of Toledo (sources differ). The hotel featured over 300 rooms, two dining rooms, and a lobby decorated in the French Renaissance style. It was advertised as the first fireproof hotel between New York and Chicago and was located on the busiest intersection of Toledo at the time.
The Secor Hotel was renovated in 1935 and 1947 before it ultimately closed in 1969. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. It housed a variety of businesses, including the Ohio Bell Telephone Company in the 1980s. Today, eighty-five percent of the building is vacant.
Downtown Toledo's Secor Building to be hotel again. WTOL. June 30, 2016. Accessed October 26, 2018. http://www.wtol.com/story/32340793/downtown-toledos-secor-building-to-be-hotel-again/.
Reiter, Mark. Secor Building may return to luxury roots. Toledo Blade. May 07, 2016. Accessed October 26, 2018. https://www.toledoblade.com/Real-Estate/2016/05/07/Secor-Building-may-return-to-luxury-roots.html.