Colonial Revival style building, designed by U.S. Treasury architect, Louis A. Simon, in 1940. “Mining” mural by Michael Lenson, noted WPA Federal Art Project artist.
The Mount Hope Post
Office was built in the Colonial Revival Style of architecture in 1940 by U.S.
Treasury architect Louis A. Simon. This
building would combine the post office operations of both MacDonald and Mount
Hope residents. The original Mount Hope
post office which was founded in 1872 around the town known as Warner
Town. Luther Warner was the first
postmaster for the town of Mount Hope His daughter, Sue Warner, would help with
the mail and many historical records give her credit as being the areas first
postmaster. In 1942, the WPA an American
New Deal Agency would commission murals to be installed throughout post offices
across the country. The Mount Hope Post
Office was chosen as one of those buildings and artist Michael Lensen would
paint the mural entitled, Mining.
It would later be recognized by the Smithsonian in 1962.