Fort Nathan Hale
Backstory and Context
When diplomacy between America and the British deteriorated in the early 1800s, the site of the former fort was reconstructed with funding from Congress. The new fort included masonry walls, six guns and a magazine, and barracks for fifty men. The structure was named Fort Nathan Hale and served to defend the port from the British in the War of 1812. The British did not attack succeed in occupying the area in the short war and the fort was abandoned.
In 1863, a new fort also named Fort Nathan Hale was built alongside the original fort as a reaction to concerns that Southern raiders might strike area vessels and even raid the port city during the Civil War. The new fort included earthen ramparts, five bombproof bunkers, a moat with a drawbridge, and eighteen guns. The fort saw no action and parts of it were demolished while the rest was left to deteriorate after the war.
After 1921 the site was turned over to the city to maintain and became a recreational area. Maintenance was often insufficient as the area became more polluted and the area was largely abandoned following destruction from the hurricane of 1938. In 1967, the Fort Nathan Hale Restoration Project was established leading to renewed interest and resources to return the area to use as a recreational area. With increased interest in the area leading up to the Bicentennial, a replica of the Revolutionary-era fort was built and the park was rededicated on July 5, 1976.
"Welcome to Fort Nathan Hale." Welcome to Fort Nathan Hale. Accessed October 10, 2018. http://www.fort-nathan-hale.org/.
"Fort Nathan Hale." Wikipedia. November 14, 2017. Accessed October 10, 2018. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Nathan_Hale.
Pelland, Dave. "Fort Nathan Hale, New Haven." CT Monumentsnet. Accessed October10, 2018. http://ctmonuments.net/2010/08/fort-nathan-hale-new-haven/.