As in other towns, Bedford's railroad station was the hub of community life. Transportation of passengers, freight and mail, from the railways' inception through World War II, meant that such railroad stations were a vital part of both the local and national economy.
Built in 1881, the station remained in service until 1971. WWII found the station participating in the transportation of troops, supplies and ammunition. The Bedford Boys left for service from this very station in February 1941, while the nation was still at peace. Little could they know the role in history they would play.