1892 School Building and Museum; Kutztown Area Historical Society
Located in Kutztown's historic 1892 public school building, this small museum features artifacts that preserve and share the history of the community thanks to the efforts of volunteers from Kutztown Area Historical Society. The school was the first in the state to offer central heating and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its role in shaping the community and for architectural features such as its bell tower. In addition to items related to the school and the local community, highlights of the museum include colonial-era artifacts, a Pennsylvania long rifle that is over two centuries old, and a newspaper from 1799 that announces the death of George Washington.
Backstory and Context
The Victorian structure was designed by architect Milton Bean between 1892 and its dedication in the fall of 1893. The school was celebrated for its arched entrance and three-story bell tower, as well as the sturdiness of the structure that came from using local hardwoods and marble from a Pennsylvania quarry. The building served as a public school or as a public school annex until 1977. In 1979, the Kutztown Area Historical Society purchased the building for use as its headquarters and public events as well as a small local history museum.
Shelley, Susan. Kutztown Area Historical Society building was once a public school. Reading Eagle. November 01, 2016. Accessed September 30, 2018.