Sedalia's elegant Katy Depot (named after the Kansas Atchison and Topeka Railroad) was constructed in the Romanesque Revival style. The Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad began operating in Sedalia in 1873. Bradford Lee Gilbert designed the depot which was built of limestone from the nearby Georgetown Quarry, by George Goodlander, and officially opened on May 10, 1896. The popular gathering spot served the community with elegance and charm for more than 60 years. The last passenger train left the Depot in 1958.
Backstory and Context