Cotton County Courthouse
The Cotton County Courthouse is a historic courthouse located in Walters, Oklahoma. It was built in 1926 by the Oklahoma City architectural firm Tonini & Bramblet. The design of the courthouse incorporates elements of the Neoclassical style. As the county seat of Cotton County, the courthouse continues to serve as a center of local government.
Backstory and Context
The courthouse was designed by the Oklahoma City architectural firm Tonini & Bramblet, which also designed a number of other county courthouses in Oklahoma. The courthouse's design incorporates elements of Neoclassical style. Notable features include pillasters alternating with the window bays and rectangular and diamond-shaped plaques between the second and third-story windows.
The grounds of the courthouse contains a number of monuments and markers. These include the Cotton County Law Enforcement Memorial and a monument to veterans of World War II. A time capsule was buried on the grounds of the courthouse by the Chamber of Commerce, and is meant to be opened on August 4, 2101.
"Cotton County Courthouse." National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. National Park Service. US Department of the Interior. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/AssetDetail?assetID=1c20c167-08bf-4db2-acc9-b421deed9b31. Accessed September 14, 2018.