Big Springs Historical Society & Museum
Located in the historic former Caledonia School which was constructed in 1876, this local history museum includes a variety of exhibits drawn from the collection of the Big Springs Historical Society that present the history of the Genesee River Valley and its people. Highlights of the museum include exhibits related to the Native American inhabitants of the region, early settlers and agricultural history, and artifacts from the oldest fish hatchery in the nation. The museum also includes exhibits related to military history including artifacts from the Civil War, an extensive collection of historic clothing and textiles, and artifacts related to early businesses, and items that interpret the lives and perspectives of area African American communities. For those who are interested in the history of the region, the historical society maintains an accessible database of digitized items from their growing archive.
Backstory and Context