Constructed in 1884, the Tippecanoe County Courthouse stands prominently on a public square in downtown Lafayette. It reaches a total height of 226 feet and features a 14-foot statue at the top called Lady Liberty. It is the third courthouse to serve as the county seat. The building's appearance is an eclectic mix of architectural styles: Beaux Arts, Baroque, Gothic, Georgian, Victorian, Neo-Classical, and Second Empire. As such, it is significant not only for its political history but its architecture as well. It remains the tallest building in Lafayette and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.