The Chipman Cultural Center is located within the former John Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church. The church's history dates back to 1837, when it was founded by five free African Americans. The black community of Salisbury eventually erected a modest from church that doubled as a school and community gathering place. As the congregation grew in numbers and wealth, members built this large frame building which presently serves as a museum and cultural center. Exhibits and records share the history and culture of African Americans who have lived on Maryland's Eastern Shore for the past three centuries.