Clio Logo

This late-Victorian Stick-style structure was a transportation hub of railroad passengers and commercial goods from Parsons, starting with the opening of the West Virginia Central and Pittsburgh Railway in 1889. Commercial goods associated with this railroad included mined coal and coke, as well as lumber.


Once hailed as a huge marker in Tucker County, the railroad traveled through many of the major towns such as Parsons, Thomas and Davis. While the trains primarily transported coal and lumber, companies like Southern States and the Woolen Mill shipped their products as well.  

In the years following 1888, lumber replaced farming as the chief industry in Parsons and the population skyrocketed. The National Register of Historic Places identifies the Western Maryland Depot as a "surviving remnant of this "boom" period," 

The last train ran out of the Western Maryland Depot in 1958. 

http://www.wvculture.org/shpo/nr/pdf/tucker/96000444.pdf 

https://www.parsonsadvocate.com/western-maryland-railroad-depot-on-christmas-tour-list/