The two communities of Claremont and Beechwood became synonymous with one another almost from the beginning of their existence. Beechwood was established in 1887 when a drift mine opened along the gorge giving rise to a post office by the same name. Claremont came into existence when a second mine approximately 0.7 mile south began operating under that name in 1889. The two locations had a distance of less than a mile between them. This close proximity, combined with the industrial connection has historically combined the two locations.
Beechwood Coal and Coke Company began operating a drift mine to extract coal
from the Fire Creek seam in 1887. Operations began under direction of a team of
coal operators, led by the legendary New River coal operator Captain Joseph L
Beury. Two years later, the company took control of another mine approximately
0.5 mile upriver of the original one. This one was originally known as the
Central Mine but became the Claremont Mine with the acquisition. It is unknown
what prompted the name change of the mine. Joseph Beury, son of the Cap. Beury,
was mine superintendent until 1917. The post office that had been operating
under the name Beechwood since 1887 was renamed Claremont in 1897.
was located approximately three miles upriver of Thurmond along the Chesapeake
& Ohio Railroad mainline. Further upriver was the community of Claremont.
It was the community for the miners working in the mine at Beechwood as well as
the drift mine that gave the community its name. Today, there is very little
left to indicate there was once a thriving industry and community located here.
The USGS 1913 map shows three or four structures below the mine at Beechwood.
There is a stone foundation between the road and the railroad tracks at this
location. It looks like the remnants of a house or a similar structure. There
are remains of smaller structures scattered around the location of the
so many other mine towns along the New River, Claremont was built on the flat
area along the New River and the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad with the mines
above the town in the gorge wall. In addition to the structures usually found
within any coal town such as houses, company store, and a train depot,
Claremont was the site of the local school for the children of African-American
miners. Children from the communities downriver were forced to walk to
Claremont for an opportunity to gain an education. Its no wonder Claremont was
selected as the location for the segregated school. According to available
census records (1900-1920) the town averaged over 40% African-Americans, with a
high of 54.0% in 1910.
the area that was Claremont is devoid of any ruins. In the area of the town
site stands an Appalachian Electric Power substation. The USGS 1913 map
indicates multiple structures along a siding for the C&O Railroad. This
siding was cut into the hillside between the road and the gorge wall and a
portion can still be seen thanks to the power substation.
thing that distinguishes these sites from the others along the gorge are the
graves. Coal mining has always been a dangerous profession. The mine report
ending June 30, 1891 recorded four deaths in Fayette County attributed to the
mines. One of these was young Berry Tucker fourteen years old. Employed as a
trapper boy, someone that operated the trapdoors allowing coal cars to pass. Overworked,
the youth fell asleep on the tracks and was “mashed” as the mine inspectors
report coldly recorded. Even though, like so many of the coal communities along
the New River, Claremont/Beechwood did not survive long, the one enduring mark left was the graves. Surely, every community along the gorge had a place
to bury their dead, but the place for Claremont and Beechwood remain. They can
be found along the main road or scattered along the railroad. Some of these
graves are maintained, marked by wonderful monuments, and decorated by family
members. Other graves are overgrown and all but hidden by Mother Nature. The
one thing all have in common is they are not marked on any maps.
its peak population the two towns boasted a combined population of 600
residents. Unfortunately, as with so many of the coal mines along the New
River, these played out and by 1942 the mines had halted operations as did the
post office. The population of Claremont and Beechwood left when the mine
played out. The town did not offer people an incentive to stay. It was not a
town like Thayer with an attraction like a huge theater. Nor was it a hub for
the railroad like Thurmond or Quinnimont.
past the site of Claremont along McKendree Road stands the remains of the Royal
Coal Company. On the gorge side of the road are two large concrete silos. These
silos are somewhat out of place as they are superior to any other structure
within miles. On the other side of the road, between the road and the railroad
tracks, stands remains of four concrete buildings and what appear to be
reclaimed mine portals. The structures along the railroad side of the road look
to possibly be the remains of a system for loading coal into train cars.
The area of
Beechwood was located slightly less than three miles and the community of
Claremont was another three quarters of a mile beyond that upriver from
Thurmond on McKendree Road (County Route 25), an improved dirt and gravel road.
This road connects Thurmond to Prince fourteen miles downriver. In reality,
this road becomes almost impassable just past Thayer, another four miles
upriver. Even daily travel along this stretch of McKendree Road would require a
four-wheel drive vehicle. Travel along McKendree Road should be done only under
the best of weather conditions.