On the premises is a concrete Celtic Cross that stands upon earth taken from the ground on which the cottage of St. Patrick stands in Ireland. This was brought back to the church from Ireland by William Seymour Edwards, son of the great naturalist William Henry Edwards. The inscription on the base of the cross reads:
Presented March 17, 1912 to The Sons and Daughters of Ireland In Kanawha County To Commemorate the Consecration of The Shamrock Sod Brought From Saint Patrick's Cottage In the Gap of Dunlo, Killarny County Kerry, Ireland By Mr. and Mrs. William Seymour Edwards
Good Shepherd is the oldest Catholic house of worship in the Kanawha Valley, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The church is still operational today and holds services weekly.