Wright's design was completed in 1954, and the Lewises with their four children moved into the home. George Lewis worked at his family's bank while Clifton kept herself busy raising her children and being active in the local civil rights movement. In addition to her activism, she helped found many of Tallahassee's beloved cultural institutions, such as LeMoyne Center for the Visual Arts, the Tallahassee Junior Museum (now Tallahassee Museum), and helped to save the Lichgate Tree and Laura Jepsen cottage. In the 1960s, Clifton rented the Randall-Lewis House to many local artists, writers, and designers, many of whom worked as professors at FSU. Clifton protested against public pool segregation, gave office space to Tallahassee CORE founder Patricia Stephens (later Due) for voter registration, and she offered an integrated gallery space at the Lewis State Bank in the lobby, known then as the Little Gallery.