The Black Theater of Ardmore was one of the first theaters located in Ardmore, Oklahoma and allowed African American's to enjoy entertainment during the time of racial segregation. The theater was built in 1922 on the 500 block of East Main Street Ardmore, Oklahoma. The city had about 2,000 African American's living there at the time and the city had its own business district despite the racial segregation happening in the early 1900s. The Ardmore theater was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1984. The building operated as a theater until 1944 until it was sold to the Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church.
The Black Admore Theater in Admore, Oklahoma provided services and entertainment to the African American's who lived there at the time, that were excluded from attending the other theaters, built only for white people. The theater on the 500 block of East Main Street is still one of the oldest all-black commercial structures in Ardmore. It's also the oldest all-black structures in Oklahoma that are still intact today. Many slaves traveled to Admore during the 1900s to seek jobs and a better life, which in consequence created the large outcome of African Americans who lived there and created businesses. The building once known as the Admore Theater remains standing and is highly associated with the black business district.
The theater which was also called the movie-house at the time created a place for African Americans to get involved socially in the community. The red brick performing arts theater, in Carter County gave African Americans a theater of their own to create culture and experience. Locals would gather in the Admore Theater to listen to plays, watch skits, and simply socialize where others like themselves were allowed to express themselves through art. The building is considered a historical marker and is a symbol of the once thriving business created by the African American community in Admore. The theater is located in a black neighborhood district which also influenced the other all-black businesses in the 1900s.
The building served as a theater until 1944 until it was sold to Metropolitan African Methodist Church who completed minor construction. The structure that purposed as a theater is now a church called the Greater Love Vicory Temple (Church of God in Christ). On June 22, 1984, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and can be found on their website. Today you can still visit the once known Admore Theater in Admore, Oklahoma where it still stands and purposes as an all-black church. The building represents the success of an African American establishment and reminds people of the important factors the building offered and the significant importance the monument stood for.