Built for 'Young' Sir John Brownlow and his wife, Alice and their 5 daughters between 1684 to 1688. It passed from the Brownlow family to the National Trust in 1984.
Earl Brownlow owned Belton during WWI. He loaned it to Lord Kitchener as a 12,000 man army camp. from August 1914. In October 1915, it became the headquarters of the Machine Gun Corps.