Park Avenue Armory
The Park Avenue Armory was constructed between 1877 and 1881. It was originally home to the 7th Infantry Regiment, and later, several other divisions and regiments. The building was designed and constructed by Charles Clinton. However, the magnificent Veteran's Room, influenced by cultures from all over the world, was designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, Candace Wheeler and Samuel Colman. Today, the building serves as an event venue for visual and performing arts that need an unconventional space to display their work. It was named a National Historic Landmark in 1986.
Backstory and Context
Both the buildings design and its occupants have changed over the years. The 7th Regiment became part of the 107th Infantry in 1921 but still occupied the building. Eventually, the 7th Regiment became part of the 42nd Infantry Division. Additions were added to the building from 1909 until 1914 as it went from three stories to five stories. The belfry was also removed from the central tower during this time.
Eventually, the building fell into disrepair, but a restoration project began in 2009, which was privately funded. The restoration was overseen by Ascan Mergenthaler, a senior partner of Herzog & de Meuron. Today, the building is used as a venue for live performance and art exhibitions, particularly for art that has a hard time finding display space because of its size. The Park Avenue Armory was named a National Historic Landmark in 1986.
"Building History." Park Avenue Armory. Accessed Web, 1/23/17. http://www.armoryonpark.org/about_us/history.
Kennedy, Randy. "The Gilded Age Glows Again at the Park Avenue Armory’s Veterans Room." New York Times. 3/6/16. Accessed Web, 1/23/18. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/arts/design/the-gilded-age-glows-again-at-the-park-avenue-armorys....
Passikoff, Alexander G. A Facade of Buildings: A Collection of Architectural Styles, Architects, and Their Buildings That Make Up the Face of New York. Bloomington, Indiana. AuthorHouse, 2011.