Clio Logo

An Historic Texas Cemetery located at the City Harbor in Port Lavaca. The site was called Ranger Cemetery after the burial in 1850 of Margaret Peyton Lytle, wife of James T. Lytle (d. 1854), the "poet" of the Texas Rangers.


The oldest known grave in the Ranger Cemetery is that of Major H. Oram Watts, the customs collector at Linnville and casualty of a Comanche raid on that nearby settlement on Aug. 8, 1840. The site was called Ranger Cemetery after the burial in 1850 of Margaret Peyton Lytle, wife of James T. Lytle (d. 1854), the "poet" of the Texas Rangers. When an epidemic broke out during the Civil War (1861-65), a nearby house was used as a hospital. At least 10 federal soldiers were among victims buried at this cemetery. Members of the 5 families who owned the site are also interred in Ranger Cemetery. Last burial was in 1941. (1975) 

http://www.cemeteries-of-tx.com/Etx/Calhoun/HM/rangerhis.htm