1948 Rowles Music Hall
The one-story music building opened in 1948.
Backstory and Context
We stop to remember
a ghost building. This was a post-World War II plain, utilitarian brick
building, named for William Lloyd Rowles, Head of the Division of Music and
Professor of Music.
The music department
moved from the Showalter Hall music annex into Rowles Hall in 1948. The long
side of the building faced 9th Street with its main entrance at the west end.
It housed practice and ensemble rooms, as well as studios for private instruction,
plus wind and string studios. A wing of the building behind the main entrance
held an auditorium. A story in the Kinnickinik yearbook stated "The music
hall is open to campus personnel, as well as others wishing musical
The music department moved out of Rowles Hall into the music building section of the new Fine Arts complex in 1970. The hall was demolished about 1995 to make room for an expansion of the PUB.
Cheney Free Press
The Southwest Spokane County Historical Society photograph collection