John Lipps House
This brick house began as a rather plain two-story brick structure with impressive tall chimneys. This transitional house with an ell has seen many additions including porches and a piazza to accommodate the large familes who have resided here. Wide lawns with trees make for an expansive appearance .
Backstory and Context
In 1903, the house was purchased by Richard Vine Jasper (1846-1923) and Caroline Nichols Jasper (1846-1911). Richard Jasper was born in England, immigrated to Pennsylvania, and with James Laing developed coal mines in Fayette County, WV.
The house passed from the Jasper family to Charles W. Lewis II and Margaret Mary Lewis in 1961. For many years the Lewis family were prominent automobile dealers, and the house remains in their family.
Bunn, Morgan Donnally. The People of the Old Stone Cemetery. The Obituaries 1853-1979. Self-published, 2017.
Talbert, James E. A Historical Look at Lewisburg's Hard Scrabble Hill and beyond 1783-2007. Lewisburg, WV: Greenbrier Historical Society, 2007.
Turley, C. E. The Lewisburg Historical District. The Journal of the Greenbrier Historical Society, Vol. IV, No. 1. Lewisburg, WV: Greenbrier Historical Society, 1981.