A 1930 Sanborn Map shows a drawing of the school indicating it had steam heat and electricity. A separate gymnasium burned to the ground in 1936. Construction of a new gymnasium to the rear of the brick building began in 1937 and was completed the next year.
Faced with the prospect of demolition, the Lewisburg Historic Landmarks Commission rallied support to save the school. It was acquired by New River Community and Technical College and served as its Lee Street Campus. With decreased enrollment and budget constraints, the college sold the school in 2017 to an investment group that is repurposing the buildings for rental apartments and artist studios.