Clio Logo

In this statue, President Abraham Lincoln signs the Emancipation Proclamation. In 1866, $22,000, was raised for this statue and Randolph Rogers was commissioned to complete the work. The statue was dedicated on September 22, 1871. In 2001, the monument was relocated from a traffic island to east of the road.


  • The Philadelphia Inquirer reported the event in grand fashion, including all the speeches and names of the dignitaries in a full page story in its Saturday, 23 September 1871 edition