Clio Logo

The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center includes the home, library, museum, tomb, and 25-acre estate (called Spiegel Grove) of 19th U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes. Entrance to the property is through one of six sets of original White House gates. The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center houses more than 19,000 three-dimensional objects and more than 30,000 images of these objects.


  • The museum of the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center was started by the President's second son, Colonel Webb Cook Hayes and his siblings, shortly after the turn of the 20th century.
  • The Rutherford B. Hayes Home is a 31-room mansion constructed during the Civil War

Webb C. Hayes, the second son of Rutherford and Lucy Hayes, endowed the Foundation in 1922. It was Webb who, shortly after the 1893 death of his famous father, started an effort to build a lasting memorial to the 19th President. He deeded the President’s estate (Spiegel Grove) to the State of Ohio and the President’s personal papers and possessions to the Ohio Historical Society contingent on the construction of a “fireproof building” on the grounds of the estate. Webb’s dream came to fruition on May 30, 1916 with the opening of what was then called the Hayes Memorial. 

The Hayes Museum/Library underwent a major expansion in 1968. Two wings, built onto the east and west ends of the structure, added 35,874 square feet of space.

Hayes Home tours (for individuals) take place every 30 minutes beginning at 9:30 a.m. (Tues-Sat.) and 12:30 p.m. (Sun./holidays). Final tour is at 4 p.m. (These are Guide led and last 45 minutes).