Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, the Kunkle Building (also known as the Feller Building) was completed in 1914 and served as the headquarters for the Mechanics Trust Company for approximately twenty years. It was one of Harrisburg’s earliest high-rise buildings, one of only three built prior to 1920 and the first on Market Street. The building itself is architecturally unique in that most of its exterior is faced with white glazed terra-cotta tiles. It currently serves as student housing for the Harrisburg University of Science and Technology while its first floor is leased for retail and commercial space.
Prior to the
construction of the Kunkel Building in 1914, only two high-rise buildings
existed in Harrisburg, the six-floor Keystone Building (1870) and the eight-floor
USF&G Building (1906). Named for the chairman of the Mechanics Trust
Company, Charles Kunkel, the building initially had eight stories with three
bays that fronted Market Street and six along South 3rd Street. The steel-framed building was designed and
built to contain three distinct elements.
The first two floors, built of marble, serve as the base while the
terra-cotta faced third through eighth floors represent a shaft and, finally,
the bracketed cornice serves as the capital.
In addition to the terra-cotta façade the building also incorporates
diamond shaped designs in the spandrel panels between stories and terra-cotta
keystones on the window lintels of the third, eighth and ninth floors.
originally occupied the buildings first two floors with offices on the floors
above and it expanded the building by adding four bays, identical in architectural
style and height, in 1925 and for two decades it helped turn Harrisburg into a
regional financial center. However, the
Great Depression proved too much for the bank to overcome and it failed
sometime in the mid-1930s.
was then occupied by Feller’s Clothing Store some time in the same decade. It promptly divided the oversized first floor
in two, taking the building from eight to nine floors. Feller’s also altered the first two floors of
the Market Street façade by adding plate glass storefront windows with blue
tiling above. Feller’s used the first
three floors to hawk its wares and the additional floors were leased for office
space until the late 1970s. Since that
time the building has been utilized by a non-profit called the People Place of
Greater Harrisburg and the Susquehanna Art Museum which left in 2011 for its
new home in another former bank building at the corner of 3rd and
In 2011 the
Kunkel Building went through a $4 million renovation in order to convert it
into a 40-50 unit apartment building that could house 80-90 students from
Harrisburg University which signed a ten-year lease with Brickbox Development
Limited. Today, the 39,000 square-foot
building, renamed Market View Place which sits only one block from the
university’s acadmeic center, houses students on floors four through nine,
while the second and third floors house the university’s business accelerator
program. Finally, the ground floor is
leased for retail and commercial use.