The National WASP Museum was created in honor of the women who served as WASP (Women Airforce Service Pilots). The museum is the vision of former WASP Deanie Bishop Parrish and her daughter who presented their vision to the community of Sweetwater in 2002. The Grand Opening was held in 2005 and every year during Memorial Day weekend a Homecoming Event is held welcoming back graduates of the program.
In 1942 the country was lacking in male pilots and was in need of experienced ferrying pilots to ferry trainer aircraft to Southern flight schools. As such the U.S utilized 28 civilian women pilots to do just that, effectively forming the country's first female squadron.
From November 1942 to December 1944, 1074 additional women were trained to fly, beginning in Houston, and later moving to Avenger Field in Sweetwater, TX, the location of the museum. WASP is the consolidation of two programs, Women's Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron, and Women's Flying training detachment. WASP flew every type of aircraft that the Army had in its arsenal. According to Sarah Rickman, a WASP author and historian, WASP's jobs included not only ferrying, but they also towed gunnery targets, transported equipment, and personnel, and flight tested repaired aircraft before they were returned to the field.
Army Air Forces Commanding General Arnold was the first man to bid for WASP in reference to military veteran status, but WASP did not receive recognition until President Carter signed it into law in 1977.