Sometimes referred to as “Reno’s first address,” the Lake Mansion was built in 1877. Two years later, the home was purchased by Myron Lake, who is considered to be a founder of Reno. His toll bridge over the Truckee River led the settlement to be called “Lake’s Crossing.” The home, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, has been moved twice since its construction.
Backstory and Context
Long before Reno became a gambling and divorce mecca, it was a small community centered around the toll bridge of Myron Lake. Consequently, the early settlement earned the name “Lake’s Crossing,” and Myron Lake is considered the founder of Reno.
The home which came to bear Lake’s name was built in 1877 by William Marsh. Lake purchased the home in 1879, and it originally stood at the corner of California and Virginia Streets. Following Lake’s death, the home became the property of his ex-wife and the couple’s son, who made a number of improvements to the property, including adding indoor plumbing.
In 1971, the home was nearly demolished to make way for a bank. Local preservationists had the home moved three miles south near the Convention Center. The home was moved again in 2004 to its current location. The home is now owned by Arts for All Nevada and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Accessed October 30, 2017. http://www.onlinenevada.org/articles/lake-mansion-reno.