This mosque was built by the Italian architect Mario Rossi
It was built by the Italian architect Mario Rossi; who was
the chief architect in the Awqaf. The work started in 1929 and was completed in
1945. The construction used up the Awqaf’s budget; costing about 140000 L.E.
The plan was untraditional since the building was octagonal
in shape; a plan that was limited to mausoleum and commemorative buildings.
Rossi inspired many architectural and decorative elements from Mamluk