Shady Grove School and Community Building
The Shady Grove School served children in this rural area, six miles east of DeRidder, from 1919 to 1928. The school, and later community building, was the center of life in this area for decades. In addition to school events, church gatherings, plays, musicals and meetings were held here. The building was a longtime meeting place of the local home demonstration club and after World War II, veterans took classes here. There were also weddings and funerals conducted here. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. It is still used for church services and community functions.