The Borland-Clifford House is one of the oldest homes in the Western Addition, Reno's oldest neighborhood. It is also one of the only remaining nineteenth century homes in the neighborhood, as most were destroyed due to twentieth-century commercial development. The Borland-Clifford Home was built in 1885 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context
In the 1870s, Reno was a bustling railroad town, thanks to the Transcontinental Railroad, which was completed in 1869. The Western Addition was one of the city's first residential neighborhoods, built to accommodate its growing population.
As the twentieth century progressed, railroads became less important to the local economy. Gambling and the easy availability of divorce changed Reno. The Western Addition was no longer a quiet, tree-lined residential neighborhood, and many of the old nineteenth-century homes were demolished. The Borland-Clifford home is one of the remaining homes from the nineteenth century.