Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church, Annapolis
The upper sanctuary on the third floor of Asbury United Methodist Church features artifacts and documents. In this photo, church historian Gloria Brown (left) and Dr. Carletta Allen, pastor, look at portraits of former pastors.
Asbury United Methodist Church Memorial Plaque
Backstory and Context
Following the response of white Virginians to Nat Turner's Rebellion in 1831, the church closed its doors in 1832. The congregation later joined with First Methodist Episcopal Church in 1838. In that year, the congregation contracted with Charles Shorter to build this structure-an imposing three-story building which still stands today. Shorts also became the first superintendent of Sunday school for the church. The congregation recently remodeled the sanctuary and believes to have discovered some of the original wood interior that dates back to 1838. A room located on the third floor of the current church holds artifacts and documents that date back to the mid-19th century.
2. Asbury Untied Methodist Church prepares to exhibit its two centuries of history. The Baltimore Sun. Accessed October 13, 2017. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/anne-arundel/bs-md-ar-asbury-church-20130109-story.html.
3. History of AUMC. Accessed October 14, 2017. http://www.aumcannapolis.org/Images/AUMC%20History.jpg.