San Luis Obispo City Hall & Fire Department (original)
The first fire department, San Luis Fire Company No. 1, in the city of San Luis Obispo was formed in 1874 and located on the first floor of this two-story building which also housed City Hall on the second floor. The bell on the third floor was used as an alarm for the fire department. Flames engulfed building on August 27, 1938 destroying the second story.
"The New City Hall." San Luis Obispo Tribune (San Luis Obispo), Saturday, November 16, 1878, No. 483, Vol. 10, p. 1.
Franks, Janet Penn. "San Luis Obispo's 'Smoke Chasers'" SLO County Journal. SLO County Journal, April 2003, 16.
Krege, Jack. "San Luis Obispo Fire Company No. 1." SLO County Journal. SLO County Journal, July 2006, 17-18.
"San Luis Obispo City; Fire Department" vertical file, at the History Center of San Luis Obispo County.
Krieger, Dan. "Early Days of SLO's Own Fire Department" San Luis Obispo County Telegram-Tribune(San Luis Obispo), October 27, 1984, Focus-4.
Krieger, Dan. "Early SLO Firemen had Fighting Spirit." San Luis Obispo County Telegram-Tribune(San Luis Obispo), November 3, 1984, Focus-4.