Built in 1941 from funds raised by the Nancy Hanks Club, Munson House was originally named the Muson Home Management House. It originally housed the campus's home economic department, but later served as a residential dorm and is now a sorority house.
Backstory and Context
When the home later transitioned to a residential dorm, students gathered in the front living area to watch tv and read books. Teas were also a popular pastime in Munson House, with young women gathering together to partake. Young men were not permitted inside of the building in the early days of residential living. Throughout its history, in fact, Munson House has been an all-female living area.
Page, Bonnie and Cindy Stephenson. Lincoln Memorial University (Memories and More). Harrogate, Tennessee: PrintOne, 2001.
Sweet, Natalie. Images of America: Harrogate and Cumberland Gap. Charleston, South Carolina. Arcadia Publishing, 2014.
Suppiger, Joseph E. Phoenix of the Mountains: The Story of Lincoln Memorial University. Harrogate, TN: Lincoln Memorial University Press, 2001 (originally published in 1977).