Clio Logo

The LMU sign was constructed in 1925 by Charlie J. Smith, a contractor from Cumberland Gap, Tennessee. Smith also was in charge of constructing the Spring House and the Amphitheater in the summers of 1936 and 1937, respectively.


  • The LMU letters as they appear today below the President's House.
Hess, Earl. Lincoln Memorial University and the Shaping of Appalachia. Knoxville, TN: University of Tennessee Press, 2011.

Page, Bonnie and Cindy Stephenson. Lincoln Memorial University (Memories and More). Harrogate, Tennessee: PrintOne, 2001.

Sweet, Natalie. Images of America: Harrogate and Cumberland Gap. Charleston, South Carolina. Arcadia Publishing, 2014. 

Suppiger, Joseph E. Phoenix of the Mountains: The Story of Lincoln Memorial University. Harrogate, TN: Lincoln Memorial University Press, 2001 (originally published in 1977).
0