An extensive celebratory program marked the monument's unveiling on May 10, 1924, as detailed in the Durham Morning Herald. Distinguished speakers included Judge R.H. Sykes, who urged his fellow citizens to pressure the state legislature into providing greater pensions for living Confederate veterans. During the ceremony, Durham city mayor J. M. Manning declared this day, May 10, 1924, has been set aside to honor the memory of the Confederate soldier, whether living or dead. The men who, with heroic patriotism, followed the destinies of Lee and Jackson. Men who fought for the cause they knew was right, the great principles of states rights as enunciated in the Constitution of the United States, and was, and is now, the bulwark of American liberty. Following these speeches, representatives from different white schools in the area placed wreaths on the statue, and a large dinner was held in the Y.M.C.A. for Confederate soldiers and members of the Daughters of the Confederacy. As Cynthia Mills and Pamela Simpson noted, the Daughters of the Confederacy played a prominent role in organizing the construction of Confederate memorials across the South. white supremacist activities in Charlottesville were galvanized by the removal of a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee.