Central National Bank received its charter July 1, 1890, and opened for business on October 14. Founders were Dr. Amos H. Caffee [druggist], President; J. P. Newell, Sr., Vice-President; J. E. Lang, cashier. In 1906, the bank put a local limestone stone front on its 1880s brick building and extended the stone around the Grant Street side of the building as it appears today. The interior was remodeled at this time, too.
On December 11, 1933, the Carthage Evening Press reported that a CWS (Civil Works Service) project would employ 52 women on the Carthage relief roles (1). The women were to make comforts [bedding] (2). The factory was located in the Central Bank building at the northeast corner of the square. The paper refers to the building as the former bank building and reported that it had been housing Red Cross supplies.
This building is within the National Register of Historic Places Carthage Courthouse Square Historic District (see link below). Introduction text written by Dr. Megan Bever, Powers Museum Board Member and Missouri Southern State University Professor, summer 2017.
Central National Bank operated on the first floor storefront of this building while the second floor was occupied with professional offices such as the McReynolds law office and the medical office of Dr. Everett Powers. In the latter half of the 20th century, the former bank area was used as the business office of Carthage Water and Electric Plant.
Like other buildings on the north side of the square, this structure has more than one storefront. The left one was occupied by various stores including, Foster's Grocery (1884), H. M. Cornell's Agricultural Implement store (1888) and Boston Clothing House (1895).
But for parts of three decades at the start of the 20th century, this storefront was devoted to music with Dumars and Gammon Music and L. H. Beck Music Company. It was Charles Dumars' store where James Scott, ragtime music composer and performer, was discovered. Scott would demonstrate any sheet music sold in the store and eventually Dumars heard some of Scott's original compositions and began to publish them. Scott also framed pictures while working for Dumars. A 1975 limestone marker in the sidewalk (in front of the storefront to the left in image) jonors Scott's achievements before moving on to Kansas City.