Housed in the historic former Carnegie Library, the Meridian Museum of Art promotes Mississippi and regional art through its numerous public and education programs, exhibitions, and permanent collections. Artwork displayed in its exhibitions include Native American art, paintings, photography, decorative arts, and crafts. It is operated by the Meridian Art Association. The building itself was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The library was originally the First Presbyterian Church, which was formed in 1856. The congregation remained here until 1913, when the building was converted to a Carnegie library. The library closed in 1967 coinciding with the completion of a new library building. The museum was scheduled to open in January 1970, but a fire severely damaged the building, pushing the opening to later that year. The museum has remained an important cultural center for the city and region ever since.