Brothertown Indians of Wisconsin Historical Marker
This historical marker was dedicated by the Wisconsin Historical Society in 1990. The marker offers a concise history of the Brothertown Indians, descendants of the Pequot and Mohegan Nations. These Native peoples came to the area from southern New England, after being forcibly removed multiple times. The tribe was first forcibly removed to upstate New York only to be pressured to move west by the government despite the tribe's efforts to assimilate into the dominant culture and economic systems. In 1831, members of the tribe purchased land in this area and arrived in Wisconsin via the port of Green Bay. This area is still home to the descendants of these migrants, and the Native America community of Brothertown Indians includes about 1600 members, the majority of whom reside within a short drive of this marker. Despite multiple attempts by members of the tribe, which include additional members on the tribal rolls who live outside of this area, the federal government has not extended official recognition to the tribe or its people.
Backstory and Context
The members of the tribe were known as "praying Indians" in the colonial era and early republic owing to their assimilation into Christianity and acceptance of many European economic and cultural traits.