Odd Fellows are members of a secret society with private rituals. It is
common practice to use the remains of a deceased member to signify immortality.
An example of this is the Odd Fellow’s Skeleton, George, in the Odd Fellow home.
(All of the skeletons used by various IOOF halls are named George, as to be as private as possible.) George was an ex-Odd Fellows member who died in
1895 and donated his body to science after he died and after they were finished
with it, request to have his skeleton put on display in an Odd Fellows home. There are several other instances where people have found skeletons in walls of other Odd Fellow homes all over the US.
The administration building was built in 1900, the old hospital was built in 1923, the nursing home was built in 1955, and the one-story rear portion in 1978, on the site of the 1904 School Building, and the old folks building was built in 1908. All buildings are Jacobethan Revival structures. At the time it was built, there was only one other such home in the state, the Masonic Home in St. Louis.