Douglas County Courthouse
Backstory and Context
Although Douglas County was one of the first counties organized, as well as one of the largest and most prosperous counties, it did not have a courthouse at the close of the 19th century. In 1899, voters approved an increase to their property taxes that helped fund the creation of this courthouse. Local banker and city father J.B. Watkins donated the land for the courthouse. Construction began in 1903 and was completed in 1905.
Perhaps fittingly given the county's tardiness in completing its first courthouse, as well as the political tenor of Kansas in wake of the populist reform movement, there was no dedication ceremony for the building. Reflecting the sensibilities of the city's backers, county officials simply moved their offices into the completed courthouse and got back to work.
Douglas County, Kansas, Kansas Historical Society. January 2nd 2010. Accessed June 24th 2020. https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/douglas-county-kansas/15278.