Clio Logo

What was originally the location of the Erie Swing Bridge which was constructed in 1899, is now home to the second largest bascule bridge in the world (largest at the time of construction in 1940), The Charles Berry Bascule Bridge. The Erie Swing Bridge was built to connect the east and west side of Lorain but was taken down due to long periods of delay and the constant fear that the old bridge may collapse. The bascule bridge was built in the late 1930s and opened for traffic in the fall of 1940s. The bridge was named in honor of WW2 Congressional Medal of Honor and Lorainite recipient, Charles Berry, who dove on a grenade to save his fellow soldiers