The grand Victorian home on R Street was built in 1889 by Tennessee transplant Dr. Thomas Richard Meux. In addition to operating a medical practice, Meux and his brother also owned vineyards in the area and were involved in various agricultural pursuits. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context
Dr. Meux operated his medical practice in the city until his retirement. He was also very active in Democratic politics. Meux and his brother owned vineyards in the area and also engaged in other agricultural pursuits.
The Meux home was continuously occupied by members of the Meux family for 80 years, and now contains belongings of Dr. Meux himself, including his rocking chair. Dr. Meux's daughter, Anne Prenetta Meux, lived in the home from the time that she was four years old until her death in 1970.
Following the death of the last of the Meuxs, the home was purchased by the city of Fresno and now functions as the Muex House Museum. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.