This historic artist studio is now the home of the visual arts department at the University of Chicago. The studios date back to Lorado Taft, an influential sculptor who converted two barns and a Victorian house for use as his studio from 1906 to 1929. Lorado produced several noted Beaux–Arts monuments, including Fountain of Time near the University of Chicago campus. He was also a relative of President William Howard Taft.
Lorado Taft was one of the most accomplished sculptors and art educators in the state of Illinois during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. His sculptures can be found across the city and the country, and he is particularly renowned as being one of the earliest American sculptors to work with group compositions . His main studio was within a large, deserted brick barn located on Ingleside Avenue. The site was added to the List of National Historic Landmarks in Illinois in 1965, and it is owned and managed by the University of Chicago. The original studios have been refurbished, and now serve as the university's Department of Visual Arts.